What is AYICC?
The Advanced Yoga Instructor Certificate Course (AYICC) is a certificate course designed and conducted by Vyasa Yoga. Upon completion of the course, students will receive certification by Vyasa Yoga Singapore. The AYICC curriculum is rich and extensive, very few schools in Singapore teach these advanced techniques, Vyasa Yoga Singapore is one of the first schools in Singapore to launch such advanced course to introduce these exquisite advanced techniques to keen yoga practitioners seeking progress and depth in their yoga practice (see curriculum of the course here).
Having extensive yoga background in practice, philosophy, scientific research and therapy, he strongly believes in combining philosophy and science to yield the best results. we adopts this method of integration in his teaching so that students receive the best of the East and the best of the West.
Aim and Objectives
This in-depth course enhances and deepens the skills and knowledge of passionate yoga practitioners who wish to continue their progress. It aims to empower yoga practitioners who are committed to their personal practice and seeking continuous progress.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of the philosophy and science of Hatha Yoga;
- Develop deeper self-awareness;
- Upgrade their self-practice and professional teaching skills;
- Develop self-confidence in the teaching of yoga;
- Deepen their knowledge of yoga anatomy;
- Enhance their advanced yoga techniques demonstration;
- Experience the benefits from the practice of Sukshma-Vyayama, Advanced Asanas, Kriyas, Mudras, Bandhas and Pranayama.
Structure of AYICC
Vyasa Yoga Singapore is an affiliation of the S-VYASA Yoga University in Bangalore. With over 10 years of presence in Singapore, Vyasa Yoga has deeply seated roots in the knowledge of Yoga and Ayurveda. The structure of AYICC largely follows the direction given by the great yogi Swami Vivekananda who pronounced that we need to combine the best of the West (modern scientific research) with the best of the East (yoga and spiritual lore).
Upon registration and payment, students will receive a set of pre-course instructions. Students may carry out the pre-course practice in their own free time. This set of pre-course practice will enhance their strength and flexibility prior to commencement of the course, and enable students to move into the advanced Asanas with more ease during the course.
Throughout the course, each session will consist of both theory and practice. The practice session consists of a combination of demonstrations, clear instructions, revision of advanced Asanas, peer teaching, physical adjustment, along with other practical components of Hatha Yoga.
CHAPTER 1 – HATHA YOGA
- What is Yoga?
- Definitions of Yoga
- Branches of Yoga
- Hatha – Science of Body & Mind Balance
- Objectives of Hatha Yoga
- History of Hatha Yoga
- Lineage of Hatha Yogis
- Most popular Hatha Yoga texts of 6thto 15thcenturies AD
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika and its components
- Yama and Niyama (Do’s and Don’ts)
- 6 causes of failure in Yoga
- 6 keys to success in Hatha Yoga
- 15 Asanas
- Shat (6) Karma
- 8 Pranayama
- 10 Mudras (3 Bandhas) which annihilate old age and death
- Fundamental differences between Hatha and Raja Yoga
- Special instructions to participants
CHAPTER 2 – ADVANCED ASANAS
- Aims and objectives
- Categories of advanced Asanas
Arm Balancing Asanas
- Ashtavakrasana (Eight Angled Pose)
- Eka Pada Koundinyasana I (One Legged Sage Koundinya Pose I)
- Eka Pada Koundinyasana II (One Legged Sage Koundinya Pose II)
- Dwi Pada Koundinyasana (Two Legged Sage Koundinya Pose)
- Maksikanaga Asana (Dragonfly/Grasshopper Pose)
- Padma Bakasana (Lotus in Crane Pose)
- Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
- Padma Mayurasana (Lotus in Peacock Pose)
- Tithibhasana (Firefly Pose)
- Eka Pada Rajakapotasana I & II (One Legged King Pigeon I & II)
- Rajakapotasana (King Pigeon Pose)
- Purna Dhanurasana (Full Bow Pose)
- Purna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose)
- Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
- Ekapada Chakrasana (One Legged Wheel)
- Dwipada Viparita Dandasana (Two Legged Inverted Staff Pose)
- Ekapada Viparita Dandasana I & II (One Legged Inverted Staff Pose I & II)
- Krounchasana I & II(Heron Pose I & II)
- Upavistha Konasana I & II(Seated Angle Pose I & II)
- Supta Konasana (Reclined Angle Pose)
- Vasisthasana (Sage Vasistha Pose)
- Kashyapasana (Sage Kashyapa Pose)
- Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana C (Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose C)
- Hanumanasana (Monkey God Pose)
- Visvamitrasana I & II (Sage Visvamitra Pose I & II)
- Purna Natarajasana (Full King Dancer Pose / Lord Shiva’s Pose)
- Thiruvikramasana/Trivikramasana (Standing Split)
- Sirsasana I, II & III (Headstand I, II & III)
- Padma Sirsasana (Lotus Headstand)
- Niralamba Sirsasana (Headstand without support)
- Parivritta Sirsasana (Revolved Headstand)
- Padma Sarvangasana (Lotus in Shoulder Stand)
- Pincha Mayurasana (Feather Peacock Pose)
- Vrischikasana (Scorpion Pose )
CHAPTER 3 – YOGA-SUKSHMA-VYAYAMA (subtle yogic techniques) YOGA STHULA-VYAYAMA (gross yogic techniques)
Introduction and Practice of Sukshma-Vyayama
- Prarthana (prayer)
- Uccarana-sthala tatha visuddha-cakra-suddhi
- Buddhi tatha dhrti-sakti-vikasaka (intelligence)
- Smarana sakti vikasaka (memory)
- Medha sakti-vikasaka (intellectual vigor)
- Netra-sakthi-vikasaka (eye)
- Kapola-sakthi-vikasaka (cheek)
- Karna-sakthi vikasaka (ear)
- Griva-sakthi-vikasaka (neck)
- Skandha tatha bahu mula sakthi vikasaka (shoulder)
- Bhuja bandha sakthi vikasaka (upper arm)
- Kaphoni sakthi vikasaka (elbow)
- Bhuja-valli-sakthi-vikasaka (lower arm)
- Purna-bhuja-sakthi-vikasaka (whole arm)
- Mani-bandha-sakthi-vikasaka (wrist) A & B
- Kara-prstha-sakthi-vikasaka (back of hand)
- Kara-tala-sakti-vikasaka (palm)
- Angula-mula-sakthi-vikasaka (root of fingers)
- Anguli-sakti-vikasaka (fingers)
- Udara-sakthi-vikasaka-(abdomen) Inhale Exhale Rapidly
- Udara-sakthi-vikasaka (abdomen) With Jalandhar Bandha (Perform 90 & 135 degree with Uddiyana Bandha)
- Udara-sakti-vikasaka-9 (abdomen)
- Kati-sakti-vikasaka- (backbone)
- Kati-sakti-vikasaka- (backbone)
- Upastha tatha (svadhisthana-cakra-suddhi)
- Jangha-sakti-vikasaka (thigh)
- Janu-sakthi-vikasaka (knee)
- Pindali-sakti-vikasaka (calf)
- Pada-mula-sakti-vikasaka (ankle)
- Gulpha-pada-prstha-pada-tala-sakti-vikasaka (foot)
- Padanguli-sakti-vikasaka (toes)
Introduction and Practice of Yoga Sthula-Vyayama
- Rekha-gati (line walking)
- Hrd-gati (yogic jogging)
- Utkurdana (yogic jumping)
- Urdhva-gati (move up)
- Sarvanga-pusti (whole body development)
CHAPTER 4 – KRIYAS/SHAT KARMA (Purification techniques)
- Shat Karma – meaning and aim
- When to do Shat Karma?
- Shat Karma (Six Yogic Cleansing Techniques)
- Dhouti / Dhauti
- The Principles of Shat Karma
- Kapalbhati (Frontal Brain Cleansing)
- Three types of Kapalbhati
- Vatakrama Kapalbhati
- Vyutkrama Kapalbhati
- Sheetkrama Kapalbhati
- Udhiyan Bandha (preparation to Nauli)
- Agnisara (preparation to Nauli)
- Shankhaprakshalana or Varisara Dhauti (washing of the intestines)
- Summary of Kriyas/Shat Karma
- Three types of Kapalbhati
CHAPTER 5 – MUDRAS (Yogic Gestures)
The Science of Mudras
- Etymology of Mudra
- Origin of Mudra
- Aim of Mudra
- Mudra and Prana
- Bonghan Circulatory System (Research)
- Mudra and Meditation
- Guidelines for Practice
Types of Mudras and Practice
- Hasta Mudra (Hand Mudra)
(i) Jnana mudra/Chin Mudra
(ii) Yoni Mudra
(iii) Bhairava Mudra
(iv) Chinmaya Mudra
(v) Aadi Mudra
(vi) Brahma Mudra
- Shirsha Mudra (Head Mudra)
(i) Shambhavi Mudra
(ii) Nasikagra drishti / Agochari Mudra
(iii) Khechari Mudra
(iv) Akashi Mudra
(v) Manduki Mudra
(vi) Kaki Mudra
(vii) Shanmukhi Mudra
- Bandha Mudra (Lock Mudra)
(i) Maha Mudra
(ii) Maha Bheda Mudra
(iii) Maha Vedha Mudra
- Adhara Mudra (Perineal Mudra)
(i) Ashwini Mudra
- Kaya Mudra (Postural Mudra)
(i) Yoga Mudra
(ii) Vipareeta karani
- Therapeutic Mudra
(i) Prithvi Mudra
(ii) Apas Mudra
(iii) Agni Mudra
(iv) Vayu Mudra
(v) Akasha Mudra
Stimulating and Strengthening Mudra
(i) Linga Mudra
(i) Uttarabodhi Mudra
(ii) Hakini Mudra
Balancing and Harmonizing Mudra
(i) Hridaya Mudra
- Sadhana Mudra
(i) Prana Mudra
(ii) Apana Mudra
(iii) Samana Mudra
(iv) Udana Mudra
(v) Vyana Mudra
- Other Mudras
(i) Namaskar Mudra
(ii) Shankha Mudra
CHAPTER 6 – BANDHAS (Yogic locks)
- Description of Bandhas
- Aims of Bandhas
- Actions of Bandhas
- Chakras and Granthis
- Types of Bandhas
- Moola/Mula Bandha (perineum contraction)
- Uddiyana Bandha (abdominal lock)
- Jalandhara Bandha (throat lock)
- Maha Bandha – The great lock
CHAPTER 7- PRANAYAMA
Light on Pranayama from Ancient Texts
- Pranayama – after accomplishing asanas
- Interconnection of Mind and Prana
- Five Functions of Vayu (air)
- Impurities of Nadis
- Purification of Nadis
- The Three Gunas and Pranayama
- Signs of Perfected Pranayama
- Diet and Pranayama
- Proper Way of Pranayama Practice
- Signs and Results of Purifying the Nadis
- Role of Shatkarma in Pranayama
- Pranayama Alone Removes Impurities
Philosophy of Prana and Pranayama
According to Prasnopanishad
- Meaning and origin of Prana
- Pancha Kosha
- Five Pranas (major) and Five Upa Pranas (minor)
- 5 Keys to Unlock Subtle Perception and Experience of Prana
Physiology of Respiration and Pranayama
- Physiology of Breathing
- Yogic Physiology of the Nose
- Importance of Kumbhaka
- Benefits of Pranayama
- Research on Breath and Pranayama
Types of Pranayama (advanced level)
- Nadi Shodhana
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Ujjayi Pranayama
- Moorchha Pranayama
CHAPTER 8 – ESSENTIAL ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF YOGA PRACTICES
- Introduction of human anatomy and physiology
- Cell, Tissue, Organ and system
- Musculoskeletal system
- Lymphatic system
- Respiratory system
- Digestive system
- Nervous system
- Endocrine system
- Immune system
- Reproductive system
- Essential anatomical terms in Yoga
- Muscles involvement in Asanas
- Agonist and antagonist muscles
- Muscle tone
- Isometric and isotonic contraction
- Muscle fatigue
- Common ailments and injuries
(Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri) 9.30am to 1.30pm
(Sat and Sun) 9am to 2pm
JANUARY TO MARCH
MARCH TO APRIL
May TO JUNE
JULY TO AUGUST
AUGUST TO OCTOBER
OCTOBER TO DECEMBER
YICC, YTCC or other yoga teacher/instructor course
For YICC & YTCC ( Yoga courses inquiries)
Yoga classes & workshops inquiries- +65 96262425
“I found AHYICC very useful and I now have a better understanding of what Yoga is. The teacher has a deep Yoga knowledge. The structure of the program is good and teacher’s delivery of it also good and understandable. I would like improved time management. Practice of 1.5hrs in the beginning and 2hrs in the last few days of the course would be great. Also, I would suggest fixing the course sequence so that we can pre-read and prepare. I do enjoy the experience of taking this course and learn a lot from the teacher Kuldeep. I see myself improving, physically & mentally. I am motivated to continue refreshing the theory knowledge & practice even the course ends.
” AHYICC content and delivery is very good. The overall experience is enjoyable, eye-opening, enlightening, enriching. It opens new horizons for further exploration and deepening.
” At AHYICC all topics are covered very well. The teachers have great knowledge base regarding the subjects as well as on the strong relation of Yoga with human & subtle body. They could clear all our doubts and made sure the subject was well understood by all of us. Not only I gained knowledge, but also could conquer fear and achieve what seemed impossible to me earlier. Many thanks to Dr Kuldeep for his patience & encouragement to all of us. Only suggestion is that we should be given deeper understanding of muscle groups with respect to Asana involved & more explanation on how and where to focus while performing that Asana. The duration of Anatomy learning can also be more so that we are able to grasp it well.
” I am so satisfied with the course as there is perfect balance of practice & theory to help me deepen the knowledge of Yoga. The course delivery is good, and the explanations are very nice. AHYICC has given me confidence in teaching to my students.
Only suggestion would be to provide notes for preparatory practices for each category of Asanas.
” AHYICC is more detailed and intensive course especially in Anatomy and Pranayama. The teacher is knowledgeable and ensures good pacing in the classroom training. Preparations before Asana was conducted very carefully. I learnt how to move into advance asana using some techniques and advice given.
The course was an eye opener and an enjoyable experience that can improve me professionally.
” AHYICC is a very interesting and compact course. All topics are very well received. Master Kuldeep is a very knowledgeable teacher. I learned different aspects of Yoga in depth. It was quite enriching experience. I would love it to be more in duration. Some subtle aspects of Yoga need more time for revision.
” I am a newbie in Yoga practice. Didn’t think I could have done the advanced asanas right after finishing YICC. But with super guidance from Dr Kuldeep and his motivating advice, I am now at least on my way to perfecting some advanced asanas. I also gained a deeper understanding of the new aspects of Yoga i.e. Pranayama Kriyas and Mudras. Thank you, Kuldeep Sir!
“AHYICC is very power packed with amazing content. The teacher is very helpful, encouraging and committed. He tried his best to hear each of us out with our challenges and gave us suggestions and motivated us. I feel my body opening with love and freedom with every asana and every breath I take. I have grown up so much as an individual. I have deepening knowledge and opened my world in understanding myself as well as a Yogi to be.
“The content is fantastic. However, adding more hours to the course would be great. Also, warming up would help, specific to the poses we are to attempt. Teacher is good and engaging. I got more than I expected from the course. Group practice has been beneficial. Alignment correction helps a lot.
“I enjoyed this course. Learnt a lot from it. Kuldeep is an excellent teacher. After this course I can do headstand very well. I would suggest a good Chinese translator ready for this course.
“The course content is very much substantial. I have a great respect for Dr Kuldeep. He educated us with a lot of enthusiasm. He trained us to achieve progress at our personal level. In the mid-course it was very hard physically but Dr Kuldeep being considerate, I could take it easily. He is so good, and I want to thank him for everything.
“Content is very good; however, it will be great if a little more time is given to theory; especially anatomy. Enjoyed the course and gained deeper understanding of strengthening and how to safely practice advanced Yoga.
“I am really satisfied with the content. It is way more than I expected to obtain from the course. The content can very well fit in for 150-200hrs course instead of 100hrs.We received so much useful knowledge that is immensely helpful in Yoga education; practical wise. I was successful in practicing so many asanas which otherwise I could not have done within such a short time.
Dr Kuldeep has been patient and encouraging throughout, selflessly imparting tips and tricks on achieving asanas correctly. Dr Maitri is deeply knowledgeable in her field of study and tries her best to impart crash course knowledge to total beginners on anatomy.
I would like pre-course to warm up that will give students more time for the body to get used to the routine. Also suggest having the sessions on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri; instead of Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri. This way we will be rested well, and our muscles can perform better.
First week was of disbelief and doubt if I could complete the course. Second week of intense warm up & practice made me exhausted & hungry all the time. I still had faith over arm balancing and headstand. On third week & forth week I got accustomed to the intensity of the practice but left with zero energy after the lesson. Fifth & sixth week was of achievement and joy. I started to achieve asanas I couldn’t do in the past few weeks. Lot of theory during these weeks. For seventh week lot of tips and tricks about the poses were shared. I Could achieve more asanas and felt overwhelming gratitude towards all the teachers and classmates.
“This was a very helpful program to deepen my Yoga practice and knowledge of different aspects of Yoga. Dr Kuldeep is wonderful as teacher. Apart from being knowledgeable, he is encouraging too. I feel motivated under his guidance. He is very generous in sharing his vast knowledge with all of us. It would have been helpful to have more lessons in anatomy. This course gave me the skills and knowledge to teach Yoga with more confidence. The course gave me the focus to push my boundaries and achieve more than I ever thought I could.
I went from being able to hold just one to being able to perform most of the asanas at the end of the course. This course is physically very demanding, and I felt exhausted during first two weeks, but as I steadily built strength, I really enjoyed the practice. I found the other subtle and gross Yogic techniques like Pranayama and sound very much helpful. These were the special practices which I could not have learnt anywhere else. The anatomy session was also quite informative.
The content was enough. The time could be extended by a few days or sessions. The delivery of the programme was very good. It was explained very well and that helped to make the understanding clear. Sir Kuldeep really took his time and with immense patience explained and delivered the program well. My experience was amazing. It required a lot of dedication and hard work, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. I am so happy to have had this awesome exposure and teacher.
Very detailed and clear content. The teacher’s delivery was fantastic. I feel very privileged to learn from such a good teacher. At first, I was a bit apprehensive in joining, mainly due to the commitment time and not feeling very advanced level in my own practice. I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. I’ve loved the challenges it has made me get through. The theory has advanced my yoga understanding to a new level. I’ve met such great student who we’ve bonded so much with. I will remember this fondly and would highly recommend to any student wanting a new challenge. Thank you so much Dr Kuldeep!! TIGHTEN!!!
AHYICC is a wonderful course. Dr Kuldeep ji has designed the course in a particular manner which gives flexibility and it strengthens the core. The content is excellent. Dr Kuldeep is very good in teaching the poses very well. He makes us understand the pose and how to get into the pose. With his proper guidance it was possible for me to attempt some difficult pose. I thoroughly enjoyed the course very much. I found it very interesting. I learnt not only the advance poses but also the philosophies well. All the classmates are very helpful and supportive. Encouragement is there always. Now I think i got a new yoga family. Credit to Dr Kuldeep ji. He planned the whole course in a very well manner, completed all the portions in given time. A big thanks to all my classmates. My guide Kuldeep ji. Enjoyed the class.
The content has been in-depth & comprehensive. It has been more detailed in understanding the advance asana. The delivery has been good. The overall administration is good. Suggestion- Do pranayama chapter earlier in the portion so we can have more practise by the end of 100 hours. I got more deeper understanding of the theory aspect. By practising it, the 8 steps asana really has made us stronger physically, mentally and emotionally. It has made me more physically aware of my strength and where i need to work more.
It was good. It covered a lot- perhaps not enough time to go through all in much depth. The teacher’s delivery is good and thorough. Suggestion- I would like to have spent more time on the theory, especially pranayama. This was one of the main reasons I did the course. I would put theory first because you are more alert- after 3 hours of physical at times I was too tired to think and take in the information. Mainly joined the course for more advanced theory but enjoyed the physical side and realising what i could so and the types of poses i enjoyed/ better at. The theory was more in depth but slightly disappointing that i felt more rushed. On the plus side of practices, a good foundation for further reading/learning/understanding. Thank you.
It is interesting content that we get to know in-depth of Yoga. Dr Kuldeep is very patient and giving us stories to remember certain theories. He understands each of us if we can push our limits. The overall administration is very good. Suggestion- I think certain topics like pranayama, mudra can teach at the start of the course as last few topics at the end, we are not able to absorb all information. I enjoy the class journey with Dr Kuldeep refining our postures and my kind classmates giving positive encouragement that we can do certain postures which i thought i cannot
The content was good. Dr Kuldeep delivery of the entire programme was excellent. It has very high knowledge about asanas, as well as the philosophical side of yoga. He shared many interesting facts about yoga which make the lesson very interesting. The overall administration is good. Suggestion- Include pranayama session in schedule.
I think it is very nice programme. Usually we have no occasion to deeply practice postures. Theory was also very interesting. Dr Kuldeep taught us enthusiastically. He has enormous knowledge. I can really respect him. Overall administration is good. Sometimes I needed more concentration. I needed more muscle aches. I hesitated to take part in the course because of my English. During course, i sometimes had difficulty, but i could understand and make progress. If anyone hesitates to take part in this course, I recommend joining this course absolutely as we can make some progress.
Click here for more testimonials
“In ahyicc we learnt so many subjects like prana, kriya and more. Dr kuldeep gave lots of example and shared his experience on the subject. He is a hardworking person with lot of energy. I found improvement in my physical, mental, spiritual and lifestyle living. Highly recommend ahyicc course”
~ TIFFANY, BATCH 2020
“The course content of ahyicc is excellent. It is evident from the course that dr kuldeep is very knowledgable and experienced. This enabled him to add his own firsthand experiencesto discussions. Found a very good balance between encouraging and managing discussions and assuring that course content was covered. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and the individuals i met. There was a strong sense of community within the class. This has been a great learning experience. I hope to incorporate whatever i have learned in a teaching environment”
~ BREDA EARDLEY, BATCH 2020
“The course content of ahyicc is just perfect. I like the way asanas, kriya, prayanama, mudras and bandhas is covered clearly and precisely. Kuldeepji has great knowledge and wisdom towards this subject. He delivers it very clearlywith a spiritual touch which makes this course special. His motivational talks are cherry on the top.the administration of vyasa yoga is professional and not commercial. I like the purity, positivity and humanity of vyasa. Joining ahyicc is one of the best decision i have made in my yoga journey. Advance asanas has been taken in a safe and step by step process. Towards the end i was happy to see my personal progress. Overall, this course helped me to improve my knowledge and give me confidence to teach the same.”
~ KAVITHA VAIDYANATHAN, BATCH 2020
“I thought the course is very all rounded and discussed in depth all chapters of hatha yoga, pradipika and advance asanas. Excellent delivery of ourse material by dr kuldeep’s personal input and experience. I gained a lot of knowledge on philosophy, suksma and sthula vyayam, advanced pranayama etc. I have also gained knowledge on advanced asanas from which i can deepen my own practise. We can all apply and cherish this knowledge lifelong”
~ RITU BHASIN, BATCH 2020
“The content of ahyicc is overall good. The delivery was customised as per ech student’s ability. The experience was very good and initiated me into reading and understanding more on each asanas, pranayama, kriya. I learned to appreciate all the parts of yoga including yama and niyama. It also laid the foundation for my quest for strengthening. Highly recommend this course”
~ VIDYA PILLAI, BATCH 2020